Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pickles and Tomatoes



It worked - the green tomatoes are now red! Just from sitting in the warmth and sun on the windowsill.








Accomplishment of the day: I made pickles! Unfortunately, they won't taste as good as they should as I harvested the cucumbers before I was ready to make the pickles. I had to find jars. Then I shopped for the canner, couldn't find one and had to order a new one online, wait for it to arrive and wait for the weekend to make the pickles. Also, had to go shopping for several of the ingredients. But finally got my act together and made 4 jars of pickles. I had to adapt the recipe so who knows how they will taste. But in the middle of the winter I will be able to taste the cucumbers, green peppers and onions of my summer garden! I will plan better for next year.

It was not a good growing season for tomatoes - too cool (though I wasn't complaining about the cool summer). So I am trying to see if the green tomatoes will ripen in the sunshine on the windowsill.

No comments: