Sunday, June 10, 2012

My mother's birthday


Yesterday, June 9, was my mother's birthday.  My mother was Wilma Mae Hart Minton.  She would never tell her age but would say, "I was born in 1917, you figure it out."  I was looking for a poem to share from one of her favorite poets, Robert Frost, when to my surprise I found a little writing of her own from an anthology she put together as part of her studies at Manchester College in 1936: "Life - !  What a small word, but in reality how many, many things it does include!  How very wonderful it is when we stop and think, that each one of us can make of his own life just what he desires to.  We are all vagabonds, adventuring on the open road of life, ever seeking the new and unknown, desiring adventure and happiness.  Far ahead we catch a glimpse of the unattainable - just beyond our finger-tips.  It is our dream and hope that some day we may achieve our goal.  - W.M.H."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your mother was my 8th grade English teacher--my favorite teacher ever! (Did she teach at Morton Junior High School circa 1968?) I majored in English at OSU partly because she made literature so interesting. I enjoyed writing, so after college I went to law school. She was a wonderful teacher!

Nancy said...

Dear Anonymous, This sounds right. She did teach there in that timeframe. It is so nice to hear that feedback about her teaching. She loved teaching and I think she really enjoyed the junior high age group. Thanks for the comment.